It feels so long already since I last watched a movie. Back in Boston I could just hop on the T to the cinema practically whenever I felt like. Now it seems like there is no time at all. I can either go catch a movie in the evening, which means having to rush after dinner and Maghrib for the 9 o’clock show on a week day; or go during the weekends when there are so many people also wanting to catch a movie. And I just so hate squeezing and queuing in a crowd to buy tickets. The only consolation is that the showings are not all that great anyway, and I really hate the subtitles they have here. Not only that I find that they are distracting, but the translations are terrible too.
It doesn’t get much better at home too. Television is so boring, which reminds me why I didn’t watch much television even before I went to the States. Yes, there is Astro, but my mother has complete control over it, watching her daily dose of Malay dramas.
And this brings us to Suapi, who is now a self-confessed "Malay drama junkie". I can never even begin to imagine myself becoming one. I better not elaborate any further, lest I begin to sound like a kacang lupakan kulit. But I do occasionally enjoy the comedies and romantic comedies they show in Cerekarama on TV3.
So what now? Thanks to flat-rate broadband connection, I get to download the latest episodes of my favorite shows and watch them whenever I can find the time. So everyone is happy in the family... and may we all live happily ever after. Amen.
As an update, I’ve got myself a new mobile phone, but still haven’t contacted any of my friends. Simply said I’m just plain lazy. Talking is hard work, you know, and it ain’t cheap too. Perhaps I should call them, well, *soon*.
Since I do not have a teaching assignment, and most probably will not have one until the new academic year begins after the middle of the year, I have become this utility employee. So I find myself chasing after files and documents, finding addresses online, helping out with clerical work etc. The boss has even sold me off as Coordinator for Practical Training. It sure sounds big. At least now I get some interesting letters delivered to my mailbox at the department other than internal memos and circulars. It sure beats sitting in my room staring at the ceiling.

No comments:
Post a Comment