Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Other Side

BU's 2006 Commencement is this weekend, but I will be here missing it, on the other side of the world.


62 Bay State Road

Boston is, quite literally, on the opposite side of the world from Malaysia with thirteen time zones in between. The apartment at 62 Bay State Road was the first place I ever stayed for any extended period of time that was neither my family home nor a school or university residence. I lived in different forms of dormitaries for 11 years of my life - five years in SDAR, two years in KTJ, and four years in IIUM. The best was definitely the single room at KTJ, while at IIUM I rarely spent a weekend on campus: fleeing for home as soon as classes ended on Thursday.

Sometimes I do wonder what would have happened if I chose differently; like going to KL's SM Victoria (VI) instead of SDAR, UTM instead of accepting that BNM scholarship that led me to KTJ, etc. Of course, it is a futile exercise so I always stop at just that. Although there may be some other versions of myself in some parallel universes somewhere doing God knows what, the only reality that matters is this one. As a friend once commented, “Otherwise you wouldn’t have met me”.

Despite what my teachers and relatives were saying in school, I never seriously thought about going overseas to study. It shouldn’t matter where you go to school.

But I was there. Hopefully another opportunity awaits in the near future.

4 comments:

  1. Missing Boston eh? I still miss Edinburgh . I hope i get the chance to go back there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not missing Boston per se, but missing the idea of being somewhere else and missing home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love that feeling? try being a navy or work offshore then... hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nak join Navy tak cukup syarat la boss.

    ReplyDelete