Thursday, July 05, 2007

News of the Day


Excise duty on cigarettes is set to increase by 25% beginning Monday, and tobacco companies are announcing corresponding increases in the price of cigarettes.
...

Federation of Sundry Goods Merchants Associations of Malaysia president Lean Hing Chuan was quoted as saying that the sale of cigarettes always dropped when the price was raised.

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/7/5/nation/18215474&sec=nation

DUHH! I couldn't help laughing when I read the statement in The Star today.

I don't smoke so personally couldn't care less how much they charge for cigarettes. However, I am quite interested to find out how much exactly smoking-related illnesses contribute to our annual public healthcare bill. Let's say the amount comes up to RM5 billion. Then the government could increase tax on cigarettes to cover the amount. Just make sure the money goes back to healthcare.

2 comments:

  1. Frankly, I don't care if the money goes back to healthcare. I just love to see smokers 'suffer'... LOL. *evil*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I’d say smoke ‘em smokers too. In the meantime, we shouldn’t chip in our tax money to pay for the mess they created, should we?

    ReplyDelete