Thursday, December 04, 2008

Footwear

Let’s talk about shoes.

I prefer to wear shoes when I go out of the house. There is a pair of slippers I wear when I take out the garbage or go to the mosque next door, but beyond that I always put my socks and shoes on. Many people don’t like to wear shoes (with socks) because they consider it a hassle and uncomfortable in the hot Malaysian climate, but I like to wear shoes because I don’t like to get my feet dusty and wet; and I don’t think that it’s a hassle at all. So, I put on my socks and shoes even to go to the local night market, restaurant, or grocery shop, knowing that my feet will be comfortably protected and I don’t have to worry about stepping on a puddle of water.

I have five pairs of shoes (I thought I have four, but I forgot about the pair of sneakers), but only wear two pairs regularly: a pair of black Dockers ProStyle to work, and a pair of waterproof Columbia Trail Meister Mid hiking boots everywhere else. They are both very comfortable shoes. There are also two pairs of dress shoes in my closet. One I bought for my convocation and only wore less than five times since, while the other I bought because it was on 70% discount and my brother thought I could use a new style.

Hiking boots may be a bit heavy for casual day-to-day wear for most people, but I like the protection, stability and support. Plus, I don’t have to worry much about the weather and where I step. There is this coal-colored Pagora Mid Omni-Tech trailing boots I saw recently on Columbia’s website I like. Bad news:
  1. I don’t know if it is available in Malaysia; the distributor in Singapore listed on the website didn’t reply my email inquiry.
  2. It sells for US$90 online, excluding shipping, which is a lot of money for a pair of shoes.
The good news is that the Trail Meister boots are still in very good condition. It’s already more than three years old, and I’ve worn it everywhere from going shopping and to the movies to hiking and camping; on concrete and mud and snow. Still, I figure it could last another three years!

__________
TRIVIA: Before going to the US I wore size 8 shoes. Now, I wear size 10½. No, I’m not confusing American/European/Asian sizing. Does walking a lot make your feet bigger?

4 comments:

  1. tak, memang macam tu. bila badan kita dah habis membesar, dia akan membesar kat kaki pulak. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tapi kalau badan masih membesar macam mana pulak?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never ever wear crocs, though :-P. Those crocs just really ugly, especially those bright colors, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first time I saw crocs – I didn’t know what they were called then – I thought they were really cute, especially the brightly colored ones. It’s the silliness that makes them particularly cute. I would have bought myself a pair if not for the fact that I prefer to wear proper shoes, they’ve become sort of a fad, and the price is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete