Saturday, June 13, 2009

Keep the Faith

I chanced upon a music video on television one late afternoon a long time ago. Only eight or nine years old at the time, I didn’t understand a word of the lyrics, but the tune was forever imprinted in my mind. Though I never saw the video ever again nor heard the song until much later, I could always recall the tune in my head. It was my first and all time favorite song.

Fast forward to 1992 , I was at a departmental store in Seremban when I heard the song again on the PA system. This time I definitely had to ask. Though they were already playing a different song by the time I got to the DJ station, the music was unmistakably from the same band. The DJ showed me the album they were promoting, Keep the Faith, the then-latest fifth studio album by rock band Bon Jovi. Before that I’d never even heard of the band. Everybody in school was transitioning from Guns N’ Roses to Nirvana. I took one look at the audio cassette, decided that cover art was quite cool for a rock album, and bought a copy right away.

Keep the Faith is my very first music album purchase, and I bought it based solely on a vague memory of a song I didn’t even know the name of. Nevertheless, it is an awesome album that remains till this day my favorite and the only music album I know the words of all of its songs. The old audio cassette carries fourteen tracks but CDs sold today lack the songs Save a Prayer and Starting All Over Again.

It didn’t take long before I bought all of Bon Jovi’s previous albums including the 1986 Slippery When Wet that contains the song that started it all – Livin’ on a Prayer, and I’ve been buying all of their albums since, including the 100,000,000 Bon Jovi Fans Can't Be Wrong box set.

__________
During undergraduate a popular professor told us that the 2000 hit song It’s My Life was evil. I wondered if anybody took him seriously.

6 comments:

  1. Professor so popular to have a Facebook fan page created in his name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "the only music album I know the words of all of its songs" ...impressive!! Bon Jovi should be proud to know that...hehe..!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s what happen when you listen to something again and again and again...

    ReplyDelete
  4. celah mana evil nya lagu it's my life tu?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tak ada celah-celah, semuanya evil. Agaknya dia tensen dengar radio sambil datang kerja pagi-pagi asyik dengar lagu tu. Masa tu aku pun naik bosan dengar lagu tu tak habis-habis.

    ReplyDelete