Friday, March 24, 2017

Power Rangers


We saw the Power Rangers movie yesterday, on its opening day, and Afi said that I should write a review of it.

Firstly to confess: I saw the first Power Rangers movie back in 1995. I remember enjoying the movie, but honestly don't remember how it went at all. Even a quick read of its Wikipedia entry didn't jog my memory. However, I am positive that I watched the movie, perhaps even all by myself. I remember the surprised reaction of my friends when they found out that I went to see Power Rangers at the cinema.

Power Rangers 2007 was a reboot with our five new rangers the first human rangers. However, the beginning of the movie recalled so much of The Breakfast Club with our main characters meeting in Saturday detention. We were then given background stories of each of our five "screw-ups", which by now famously included the first autistic and gay superheroes, before the final showdown with the big bad.

Overall, it was a fun movie. I liked the story. It was a Power Rangers movie after all, so better not to think too much into it. Never mind, for example, how our five newly-minted rangers were able to defeat a powerful ancient witch after less than two weeks of training.

A mid-credit scene hinted at the sixth green ranger for a planned sequel. I read somewhere that there could be as many as five movies in the series, so watch out, Power Rangers fans!

No comments:

Post a Comment