Saturday, January 20, 2007

Cold Fusion

Does catching a cold qualify as being sick? I wouldn’t say so; a little down, kurang sihat, but not sick, as I explained to a colleague. Sick is when you need to seek medical help. You don’t need to see a doctor just for a common cold. But still, it’s a bitch to catch a cold.

Bitch point numero uno: the usual telltale was there since the beginning of the week but I ignored it. STUPID. I felt that all too familiar chill inside, which for me always means that there is a fever or a cold coming; my body was under attack. Knowing it, I should have popped a couple of Panadol® and bury myself under a blanket to sweat it out. Nine times out of ten, it will all be over the next morning. But I didn’t do any of that; stupidly sleeping late instead three nights in a row.

Bitch point number two, and this is the big one, is the cough that follows. Perhaps the cough is really part of the whole common cold package, but even if we can never find a cure for the common cold, I’d say that getting rid of the coughing part is one huge accomplishment. The blocked, and later running, nose and sore and scratchy throat is nothing compared to coughing like your lungs are coming out.

Enough of this; there are many more people in this world with real diseases.


The rain today had the small river behind the house overflowing for the first time in years. It was quite a sight, and my mother certainly was not amused when I joked that we should move out.

__________
PS: Cool coughing blood illustration credit: +Cough+ by horrormove on deviantART.

No comments:

Post a Comment