Friday, February 09, 2007

Random Chatter

I
I take the day off, for no real reason. I filed in the leave form on Tuesday when all I was thinking was finding a place, an excuse, to sleep.

II
A package from Amazon arrived yesterday – a book and a CD. They were the last part of an order I placed last month; two DVDs were delivered earlier. Since these last two items were not yet released when I placed the order, they split the shipment into two parts with no additional charges. The package was shipped on January 29, and delivery estimate was given as between February 23 and March 7. It arrived on February 8 – two weeks early!

III
We have a stalker at the department, if not the kulliyyah. I’ve been overhearing stories about it for quite some time; colleagues and administrative staff members being harassed and even threatened, but I’ve never met the stalker. Or so I thought. I saw a familiar face in the hallway on Wednesday so stopped to say hi. I asked what he is/was doing, and he said that he came to return some books to some lecturers, and asked if I have any books to lend him. I meant to ask about his current job, so I asked him again, “Apa engkau buat sekarang?” What are you doing know? He was quite upset with the question and went back to the books. Seeing something was amiss I asked him again, and this time he said that he didn’t complete his studies and now comes around from time to time looking for books to borrow to occupy himself. By then, I figure that something was not right so I excused myself.

The ladies at the department office freaked out when I told them about the encounter. “You know him!” It turns out that I know the department stalker all along. Well, I don’t really; I don’t even know his name. They told me that he is mentally ill, literally, which might have contributed to him being dismissed from the university. Campus security has been informed about him, but there really is no way of stopping him from entering the campus. There were occasions when staff members had to resort to calling security, but they never arrived in time to catch him.

Crap, I just hope that he wouldn’t come and find me in my office! So much for saying hi to people, huh?


IV
I was never into dark color themes for my browser, desktop etc. before, but I use PitchDark at the moment on my Firefox. It's a nice contrast to the white background of this blog.

V
With all the work at the moment I haven't had time to sit down and read. [SIGH]

Random chatter.

3 comments: