Thursday, July 26, 2007

Broken Window

My home desktop PC died, which was really annoying, although I really cannot say that I didn’t see it coming. Over the past month or so I’d had to come home and plug the stupid thing onto the wall socket and turn on the switch, and go have my shower, dinner, watch some TV etc, and come back after a half-an-hour or so later before I can get the PC to start. At first I thought that it has something to do with the PSU, but a talk with the university technician turned the attention to the mobo. Anyway, last weekend it wouldn’t start at all over two full days so I figured that it’s finally, totally, definitely, dead. I don’t think it is worth spending any money to revive a four-year-old PC with a new mobo, so I took out the HD to be put into an external casing and let my brother take the memory modules.

So it’s just the notebook now. :-(

It just sucks that now I have to think about buying a new PC – this notebook is about the same age as the desktop and has started making some strange noise as well – on top of the other things I’m thinking of buying as well, like a new pair glasses, prescription shades, camera, video camera, mobile phone, stereo… (macam lah banyak sangat duit)

Why do things have to break down? So [whoever makes them] can make a living, says the typical wise old man. Well, not so wise actually, as famously illustrated by Bastiat.

But it’s definitely a convenient excuse to go buy stuff, isn’t it?

2 comments:

  1. Well, that new car is worth than all those things combined, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...that new car is worth [more] than all those things combined"?

    Itu lain cerita laa... separate budget item.

    :-P

    ReplyDelete