Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Borrowed Time


The notebook’s AC adapter cable, after years of wear, finally broke on Monday so I had to borrow the department notebook. The thing with semi-public property, nobody actually takes care of it, so the PC was such a mess. The desktop was full of files and folders from long-past conferences and presentations and the installed software were never updated. I just couldn’t stand it, so I spent the better half of the day on Monday bringing the PC to a more respectable state.

Anyway, back to my notebook, I had to place an order for a replacement adapter which only arrived today. Thank God there is a replacement adapter, or I would have to buy a new notebook!

So it’s back to marking exam papers now. Unlike most of my colleagues, I don’t bring the scripts home to mark, but do it strictly at the office during office hours. I give two days for one section/class – one day for the multiple choice part and one day for the essay part – and I’m already halfway through, expecting to submit my the last results next Monday.

By the way, I’ve just recently installed Office 2007 on the notebook. I was perfectly happy with Office 2003, which I bought with my own money, but the ‘free’ software provided under the university’s academic licensing deal with Microsoft (the evil empire) is simply too hard to resist. Now, if I could only get my hands on a free Vista-loaded (read new) notebook.

:P

No comments:

Post a Comment