Tuesday, February 19, 2008

World vs. West

Q: What is the difference between the West Bank and the World Bank?
A: The West Bank lends only to people in the West, while the World Bank lends to the whole world.
If it was a joke, it was a really lame joke. It wasn’t, unfortunately; at least not at first.

A colleague likes to spend the first five minutes of his class discussing newspaper headlines, so asked his students the question one day. Most of the students gave the above answer. Since we really don’t have better things to do than gossip and joke about our students, it soon became a favorite joke at the department.

BTW, I had a student who came to see me to drop the colleague’s other class because she found it stressful that “the lecturer expects students to read newspapers and discuss current issues”. I actually imagined myself smacking her in the head with a rolled up newspaper when she said that.
HINT
: The class is called Globalization and Regional Economic Powers.

The said colleague is widely regarded as one of the best, most inspiring teachers in the kulliyyah.

I am giving my students their mid-semester test this week. Judging by the impression on their faces during and after the test, it might have been a difficult test, or at least more difficult than they expected. LOL. Hopefully it shook them up real good into preparing a bit harder when it comes to the final exam at the end of the semester.

Since Popeye brought up high school memories, our chemistry teacher, Cikgu Ibrahim used to tell us to bring empty bottles and old newspapers to tests because they would be so difficult that we will piss and shit in our pants.
Maidin: Eh, cikgu pakai stokin merah!
Cikgu Ibrahim: Apa, tak boleh?!

5 comments:

  1. the best joke i've heard in your blog!
    lawak siot I.M.A. true redsox fan agaknya hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. IMA went to Politeknik Bandung, so I don't think he cared about the Sox.
    :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard some of the best jokes in the lecturer class. I took 2 courses with him last year. Some of them:

    1.A student said Kedah is a country.
    2. Attendee of World Economic Forum are economists.
    3.Washington DC vs. George Washington.

    In order to measure the current affairs aptitude of the students in this university, anyone is invited to the lecturer class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maidin saja kau ni... LOL. But yeah, IMA and him always had quite an interesting 'chemistry' in the lab :-P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took only one of his class as a student -- History of Islamic Economic Thought -- and enjoyed it very much, though I missed his globalization classes.

    Maidin-IMA exchanges always were the highlight of chemistry class!

    ReplyDelete