
I don’t want to be a grammar nazi but I think people, especially students, should write properly. It would have been easier if I didn’t understand what is written so I can just ignore and delete it. Unfortunately, I’m not that old – no offence to old people – but I wonder if they’d write differently to a senior professor.
While of course, I shouldn’t expect proper grammar in an informal email to arrange for a consultation meeting, we are seeing this abbreviated electronic communication language in formal test and exam scripts too. Students in my class actually asked me recently whether they should write full sentences in the essay part of the coming final exam, and I thought “WTF?!” Some lecturers allow them to just give bullet points, they say, and only look for key points.
Call me old-fashioned, but I think proper grammar is very important. It doesn’t have to be perfect – I know mine isn’t – but one should be able to properly spell words and form sentences. When dealing with complex concepts and ideas, proper grammar helps us order our thoughts. It is also important to ensure that the information we wish to convey is correctly understood by the reader.
Is it us the person that ask you to write full sentense?=)
ReplyDeleteWas it? Bak kata pepatah, siapa makan cili dia terasa pedas.
ReplyDeletenot so pedas la sir....ecause not me that say those words...it was my friend...b
ReplyDeleteI think it's much better for me because at least i'll try to use full sentence.it's ok ape sir if you teach us a little bit English.Dapat pahala tu...=)
so..how about we start with "WTF" to be write in full...hehe...!!
ReplyDelete1. It should be “to be written” rather than “to be write”. ;-)
ReplyDelete2. We are in cyberspace, where the use of “WTF” is perfectly acceptable. I promise to write it in full in formal writing.
3. I actually thought “WTF?!” rather than “What the frak?!” :P
4. WTF?!
yeah right....=p...
ReplyDeletewe learn something new today....
thank you sir...=)
I really think you should not allow this. We know how much employers feel on this situation. I heard several of my friends were being sent into writing classes and English classes. Better to nip this from the bud.
ReplyDeleteBut then you're an economics lecturer not language instructor.
saya setuju
ReplyDeleteur lecturer is basically ur boss in the class, so an employer is supposed to write formally, if not at least in real sentence/words to your boss, i suppose? btw i never wrote anything to my boss.
ReplyDelete