I came home from work the other day to find my internet connection down.
[WTF?!]
I usually disable the computer’s wireless devices when I take it out of the house i.e. work, so I checked; they were on, the WiFi indicator was lit.
[Somebody must have switched off the modem.]
I went out to see none of the device’s indicator lights blinking or lit.
Closer, I saw that the wall socket was switched on.
[Uh-oh!]
Later, at the computer store...
“The adapter is broken-lah, boss.”
“All right, what about the modem?” I could just buy a replacement adapter, something, to power the device.
“The modem looks fine.”
[PHEWW!]
“Wait. See, the ADSL indicator won’t light up.”
“So?”
“So it must be broken too, or about to, so better send it for warranty repair, lah.”
“Is it covered by the warranty?” I thought I’d just buy a new one and be done with it.
“There was heavy rain today, right, with a lot of lightning? We’ll just send-lah, you just might get lucky.”
“How long will it take?”
“Three weeks, at least; they will call you.”
“Three weeks! What will I do in the meantime?”
“Don’t you have a spare? This happened to me too many times already. Nowadays you always have to keep a spare one around.”
“Don’t you sell this model [Linksys WAG54G2] anymore? I don’t see any.”
“No, lah. The manufacturer is revising this particular model, so there are no more new supplies coming. You can still find them downstairs at [redacted], though. They have a lot of the old stock left because they’ve been selling it at a higher price, RM60 more than us.”
“Can you recommend me something else, then?”
[Quiet]
“What’s the best brand/model (for a wireless modem router) I can find?”
“This one, lah.” Laughing.
“Whatever, lah. I’ll buy any of the other ones.”
“Sorry, boss, we’re closing already.”
So yesterday I drove around Sungai Buloh after work looking for a half-decent computer store, and got myself a D-Link DSL-2640T. The price is a little high, but I was not in the mood to drive to Damansara/PJ/KL to find a cheaper price, and definitely did not want to spend half the weekend disconnected.
And here I am, YAY!
oh...i see...so this is lah the "plenty" one yang sir sebut tu...
ReplyDeletekawan saya pun dah banyak kali kena tukar modem sebab hujan lebat yang disertai dengan kilat dan petir....