Born and raised, and now working, in the Klang Valley has its own downside when it comes to long holidays like the recent Chinese New Year-Awal Muharam holiday. It is not like there is a faraway hometown to return to, nor do we own some hot sea-front property somewhere to spend the holiday at.Lately I have been thinking about visiting Zoo Negara. My parents laughed at the idea. "Apa kau nak cari kat situ?" asked my father. Nothing in particular really, though it would be nice to just drop by and see the monkeys. Basically I just have been thinking of doing something touristy around KL. It has been a long time since I’ve been to any of the ‘places of interest’, not since leaving school eons ago. I am sure that these places are not just for schoolchildren, and from time to time it is good to put on the tourist hat and see your own hometown with a slightly different perspective. There is also that small article in the newspaper recently about how the typical Malaysian’s idea of spending the weekend and holiday is going to the mall. Well, what can I say, we Malaysians lack imagination but have tonnes of money to spend!
So off went my brother and I to Aquaria KLCC. The zoo will wait. It turned out I still ended up going to a mall after all.
Honestly, I was impressed with Aquaria KLCC, even after having just visited the New England Aquarium in November. There were not just fish and other marine life exhibited at the aquarium, but also bugs and small amphibians and reptiles. I just hate bugs. There was a two-storey high Flooded Forest Tube Tank, which reminded me of the four-storey high Giant Ocean Tank at the New England Aquarium, though the best part was the UnderWater tunnel which gives you the feeling of being underwater, minus the wet. The fascinated look on the faces of children was also a wonder in its own right. And in this post-Finding Nemo age, everybody went gaga over the tiny clown fish.
Another favorite of mine when visiting places like this is the gift shop. We both bought a T-shirt each, plus a fridge magnet and mini mug.
Too bad they didn't have glow-in-the-dark T-shirts.
No comments:
Post a Comment