When I left home for work this morning the fuel indicator needle just touched the empty 'red zone' at the bottom. I thought that I would drop by and fill up on the way to campus, but I didn't. I thought that I would go out during the extended lunch break, but I didn't. Finally, I thought of driving up the other way a bit to fill up before going home after work, but I didn't. I thought that there will be enough fuel for me to drive and fill up on the way home. I hoped that there would be enough fuel for me to drive and fill up on the way home. But I didn't expect the traffic jam.
[Stupid]
My boss, who lives nearby, couldn't believe that I do not leave home until 7 o'clock in the morning to reach the office by 8.30. "What about the traffic jams?" she asked. Traffic jams? She rushes out of her place by 6.30 in the morning. I usually need only about 45 minutes to get to work.
I have always suspected that I have a slightly different idea of traffic jams than most people. My definition of a traffic jam is a bit more specific - it is when vehicles are not moving. As long as the vehicles are moving, no matter how fast or how slow, it is not a traffic jam. Living in this country, or at least in the Klang Valley, I cannot imagine anyone not already desensitized with the whole traffic situation.
Oh, yes, I did manage to reach a petrol station before the fuel run out. It was definitely no fun to stare at the fuel indicator, praying that the fuel would last, moving slower than a snail.
About the whole traffic situation, I seriously do not think that we can build enough roads. There will just be more and more vehicles on the road. My suggestion - eliminate fuel subsidies, and seriously develop a real alternative in a cheap and efficient public transport system.
No comments:
Post a Comment