The last few weeks taught me some new lessons on service.
How long does it take to deliver a package from the United States to Malaysia? The answer obviously depends largely on how much you are willing to pay. You can have it delivered in one or two days, considering the time difference, if you have the money. Generally we have two options in delivering mails or packages: by air or surface shipping. Air shipping promises a quicker delivery, at a higher price of course, compared to surface shipping. After all, an airplane flying ten kilometers up in the sky travels much quicker than a truck, train, or sea ship. That promise of a faster delivery also justifies the higher rates charged on air shipping than surface shipping.
But promises aren’t always delivered.
Kam sent me two boxes of my personal effects in early February. The first larger one was sent by economy surface shipping, while the second smaller one was sent by air. They were both sent on the same day at the same post office. Since I am writing this, you should be able to guess which one actually arrived first.
The first box arrived three weeks later, which was quite a pleasant surprise as I was told to expect about a month for it to arrive. Even more surprising, at the same time disappointing and worrying as well, was that it arrived before the second box. I was beginning to resign to possibility that it was already lost, but Kam reminded me that a package he sent to his brother previously, also by air, took more than a month to arrive.
The second box did arrive, more than a week later. The Pos Malaysia delivery man said that post-9-11 air deliveries from the United States now typically take about one month. Still, that does not explain how a box delivered by air shipping arrived more than a week after another shipped on economy surface! Perhaps air shipping is subject to much stringent security measures than surface shipping.
It is interesting to note, later on, that a shipment of DVDs I ordered from Amazon.com was sent from Germany instead of the United States. It arrived in just two weeks.
Having closed my bank account before leaving Boston in December, I was surprised to find letters from Bank of America among the stuff Kam sent me. Two of the letters were in fact an overdraft notice and a reminder. Apparently I owed the bank about $60. I really hate the idea of owing money to anyone. It was just as irritating too, to find that I still have unfinished business halfway around the world.
Since I no longer have access to the bank’s online banking service, I had no other choice than calling them on the phone. So I picked up the phone, and dialed the number.
I couldn’t get through. At first I thought that there were too many people calling the United States at 2 a.m. on Saturday, so I hanged up and tried again on Monday. The same thing happened. Kam gave me two alternative numbers to call but still I could not complete the call. Thinking that perhaps for some reason I cannot make the call directly, I dialed for operator assistance. The call was promptly picked up by a machine, which after directing me to choose the language of instruction and service required told me to hold for a customer service associate. I waited, and nobody picked up the phone! I hanged up and tried a second time, and then a third time, but no one was there to assist me. WHAT THE #@$%!
So I picked up my mobile, dialed the number, and prayed that I have enough balance on my prepaid account. “Welcome to Bank of America…” Hail Maxis and screw TM! Well, would should I expect from a monopoly anyway?
The Bank of America phone banking service was simply excellent. The associate understood my situation quickly and gave me the advice I needed. I asked Kam to deposit the overdrawn amount into the account. After that I called the bank again to close the account, and it took me no more than two minutes.

No comments:
Post a Comment