Friday, March 24, 2006

Stop Writing!

End-of-semester examinations began Thursday, and I had to invigilate the first paper in the morning. They even made me chief invigilator, though at one of the smaller venues with just twenty-four students. I cannot imagine a more boring assignment than invigilating exams, but it is part of the job.

There were a bottle of distilled water and a plastic bag with two pieces of bread on the invigilator’s table at the front of the room; “Nanti kalau invigilator pengsan susah lah”. It would be difficult if the invigilator were to pass out. I already had my breakfast, and don’t think that it is proper to eat in the examination room in front of the students. Although none of the students, concentrating on answering the exam, may see me eat, the smell would definitely travel all the way to the back of the room. I know I would be pissed if the situation were reversed. There were also two examination assistants in the room with me, who really did most of the job, but not also provided with food and water. So, as tempting as they were, I just looked at the food.

Two and a half hours was a long time to be staring at a bunch of people who couldn’t care less that you were there. I’ll be invigilating again next Saturday and the following Monday. The only consolation is that I won’t be marking any of the exams. That will wait till next semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment