Students are also coming to see me about the practical training program. Practical training is optional for the Economics program, though there is noise that the government is making it compulsory in the near future. The interesting observation is that all thirteen applications we've received so far are from female students. A few have already secured placements. Only one guy came to see me about it last week.
So I haven't been able to sit down and read so far in this new year. There are two books still in shrink-wrap on the bedside, waiting to be read. Both are SF – Learning the World by Ken MacLeod and The Android's Dream by John Scalzi. Two is just the right number of books to have waiting to be read. I get anxious when there is none. Anyway, I've also asked my bookstore guy to find me a hardcover copy of Scalzi's Old Man's War. Having read it in paperback, now I want to have a hardcover copy to keep. That's another thing about me with books: I like to have the books I like in hardcover. Hardcover's aren't cheap. Sure, books are books, and I have more than enough economics to know about publishers selling expensive hardcovers just to squeeze every penny out of me, but I don't care. I love my hardcovers.Thank God I earn enough to pay for them.
Talking about pay, I still owe Chee Yoong RM100 for Android. I suppose I have Kue Peng to thank about that too, for setting up the whole thing. My mother has been bugging me about my salary, as I'm having my annual increment in January. She keeps telling me to give her RM1ooo every month to save, and asking me where I spend all my money at. Well, I'd like to know the answer to that too. Books, I guess?
my mum asked me to give her some portion of my salary too. utk simpan belanja kawin katanya...I told her lepak2 le dulu, not now. would love to spend the money for travelling. but, my mom has the final say. so, redha je la!
ReplyDeleteLOL. My mother said exactly the same thing!
ReplyDeleteInstead of belanja kawin, why don't you buy a nice house for yourself la? Property is getting expensive by each day, you know. :-)
ReplyDeleteI've never seriously thought about buying property - not sure that I can afford a 'nice house' even. I'd rather build a nice house. Long-term planning is not my thing, and taking a long-term loan is still beyond my imagination.
ReplyDeleteBut hey, who knows, I might just see a nice piece of property one day and just buy it!