
Theft by Skatefreak14 at deviantART
My office was broken into,
again. Two other offices were broken into as well and the computers, among other things, were carted off. I haven’t had my
PC replaced since the last time, so I was a bit lucky in a sense. One colleague lost all her research, while the other lost all photos of his children. The thief, or more likely thieves, got away with an external hard drive I’ve only got for about a month, an old flatbed scanner that I haven’t been able to use because nobody could locate its driver, a cheap made-in-China
USB port, and a 128
MB flash drive from my office; all of which were university properties. They also took my university-issued blazer, track bottom, and sneakers, as well as my old calculator from high school, stapler and paper puncher. From the other rooms, they also got away with a brand-new microwave oven, transistor radio, mirror frame, printers etc.
Since the last break-in when the thieves broke into the offices by breaking the small glass window on the door, the university has reinforced them with a centimeter-thick piece of Perspex. This time they broke in through the rear glass window, so I have broken glass all over my floor. As a colleague commented, we can install metal grills on the windows and turn the offices into fire traps, and they’ll break through the ceiling next.
Seriously the university has to do something about the security situation. Once is one time too many to have your office violated and plundered.
No comments:
Post a Comment