Saturday, March 17, 2007

End of the Line

All the fans already know about it – it’s finally the end of the line for Stargate SG-1 after ten wonderful years. Stargates SG-1 and Atlantis are by far my favorite shows on TV, and it doubly sucks because the story is far, far from over.

Stargate SG-1 gave, in my opinion, the coolest science fiction villain ever featured on television – the Replicators. Replicators are quite like the Borg in Star Trek but far more dangerous, and may I say again, way cooler. Unlike the Borg, who are part organic, Replicators are fully synthetic. They are machines that are essentially driven by the urge to replicate and self-preservation, absorbing superior technologies along the way, making them virtually unstoppable.

And it is definitely sad to see the end of the Asgard.


The meat grinder (Michael Fassbender/Warner Bros. photo)

When watching a movie based on a historical event, one must always remember that movies are essentially works of fiction. I first read about the Battle of Thermopylae years ago, and was delighted to watch the documentary Spartans at the Gates of Fire on Discovery a few years ago. So, as much as I hate watching a much hyped-about movie, I had to watch 300. Well, I really can never stay away from a war movie, anyway.

About the movie, the only real character is the Queen. Other than that, the story of the Spartans’ stand against the massive Persian army basically tells you the value of a small number of professional and well-trained fighting force against a horde of conscripts.

No comments:

Post a Comment