Monday, April 30, 2007

My Plastic and I

What’s the credit card for you?

I was checking my credit card record online the other day when I saw a RM95 charge I couldn’t remember what for. Yup, it wasn’t a big amount, but it would be such a hassle if somebody were to be going around with a copy of my credit card.

I use the credit card a lot because I don’t like to carry a lot of cash, and I use a front-pocket wallet, which cannot hold a lot of stuff. “You must collect a lot of reward points” commented my sister. I sure do. I even remember my credit card number, expiration date and CCV number, for all the online shopping I do; mostly buying cinema tickets every week. Actually there are a lot of advantages for not carrying cash around. First, there is security – you won’t lose much if you got mugged or pow-ed on the street. Secondly, you have a convenient excuse when people bug you to lend or donate them money – “I don’t have money, see!” Okay, those are only two advantages I can think of at the moment, but they are huge advantages.

Earlier, my mother was concerned that I would just be collecting credit card debt. There was even a relatively huge deal about Malaysian credit card indebtedness in the newspapers recently. PFFT! I use the credit card solely as a mode of payment, rather than a source of borrowing; so I never charge any amount larger than what I actually have in my bank account, and usually pay up even before the charges appear on the monthly statements.

And I have only one credit card. Why would I need more than one when they'll only stuff my wallet?


Okay, not the same kind of cards... Gambit by JPRart at deviantART

__________
PS: The RM95 was for a digital watch I was wearing at that very moment.

2 comments:

  1. Here for a thought: one student got stabbed last year because his mugger was so pissed off that after all the hard work done to mug him down, he had no cash on him, LOL.

    For that moment on, I carry $5 in my wallet, just in case... :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, my wallet isn't exactly empty - the nasi lemak lady don't accept plastic - and we don't want to upset the would-be mugger too, do we?

    ReplyDelete