Thursday, January 17, 2008

First Day of the Week

Does it matter whether Sunday or Monday is the first day of the week? One Miss Teapot wrote to The Star about her confusion over the matter when her son came home from school saying that Monday is the first day of the week.

I can’t remember exactly what I learned in primary school, but I remember clearly in high school Miss Sheila Rocky taught us “Lundi, Mardi, Mercredi…” in French class. Lundi is Monday in French. In Arabic class at university, however, Ustaz Fauzi Muda began counting the week with “Ahad” – Sunday. Confusing?

Personally, I’ve always considered Monday as the beginning of the week simply because school, and now work, begin on Monday, while Saturday and Sunday are weekend. Calendar and organizer applications like Google Calendar allow users to set Sunday or Monday, or even Saturday, as the beginning of the week. I left my Google Calendar setting at its default Sunday as the beginning of the week just because I don’t care or even notice either way.

A quick Google search on the question yields some interesting information. Sunday is not universally regarded as the first day of the week. Many European countries begin the week on Monday. Monday is also designated as the first day of the week by the International Standards Organization (ISO). I’m sure they have nothing against Judeo-Christian traditions.

In short, it really doesn't matter whether Sunday, Monday or any other day is the first day of the week as long as you know what day it is. So what’s with the storm in the teacup, Miss Teapot?

See:
Which is the First Day of the Week: Sunday or Monday?
Re: Is Sunday or Monday the first day of the week?

4 comments: