Friday, May 23, 2008

Of Giants

So, as per Kue Peng and Hanif, BFG also stands for Big Friendly Giant. Obviously, I have never read Roald Dahl so though the Big Friendly Giant does sound somewhat familiar to me (even then I think it was the animated movie rather than the book) it didn’t stick. In my defence, however, Dahl’s Big Friendly Giant is referred to as The BFG while to the rest of us illiterate (former) video games junkies a BFG is just any big f*%king gun.

Just the same, I associate the word “giant” with the Jolly Green Giant and the Super Jolly Green Giant, nicknames of the HH-3 and HH-53 dedicated combat search and rescue (CSAR) helicopters used by the US Air Force to rescue downed pilots during the Vietnam War. The Jolly Green Giant was a much modified derivative of the Sikorsky S-61 Nuri helicopter our own TUDM is trying hard to have replaced.

The Jolly Green Giant, however, is also better known as the mascot of the Green Giant food company. I love their Niblets® Whole Kernel Sweet Corn for snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment