Monday, June 16, 2008

Viva La Vida

Viva La Vida
by Coldplay, from the album Viva La Vida (2008)

I used to rule the world
Seas would rise when I gave the word
Now in the morning I sleep alone
Sweep the streets I used to own

I used to roll the dice
Feel the fear in my enemy’s eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing:
“Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!”

One minute I held the key
Next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand
Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand

I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field

For some reason I can’t explain
Once you know there was never
Never an honest word
That was when I ruled the world

It was the wicked and wild wind
Blew down the doors to let me in
Shattered windows and the sound of drums
People couldn’t believe what I'd become

Revolutionaries wait
For my head on a silver plate
Just a puppet on a lonely string
Oh who would ever want to be king?

I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field

For some reason I can’t explain
I know Saint Peter won’t call my name
Never honest were
But that was when I ruled the world

I wish I had taken Literature in high school and then Philosophy in university so I can make sense of the spoken words, life, and the world better. Take this new Coldplay song for example; I have no idea what it is about, a fallen empire? What matters is that the songs sound awesome, so worry not EMI, for though I’ve downloaded the full album – all hail teh Interwebs – I’ll buy the CD when I find it.

Speaking of leaks, J J Abrams’ new sci-fi/supernatural drama (seriously, why bother with genres anymore?) Fringe looks mighty promising. Perhaps finally we’ll have a worthy successor to The X-Files from Fox. By the way, anybody excited about the new X-Files movie? I know I’m not. Sure, I’ll go watch it at the cinema but I am not at all excited about it. With just a little over a month before the movie opens, there lack of buzz is quite telling. Even the studio doesn’t seem to be very excited about it. What more is left out there? As far as seeing David Duchovny is concerned, unfortunately, I’m more excited about the next season of Californication.

Two weeks on it seems Iron Man is still the best summer movie so far. SIGH.

Meanwhile, though so far only a rumor [UPDATE: confirmed!], the Robotech movie project seems to be picking up with The Empire Strikes Back and Raiders of the Lost Ark writer Lawrence Kasdan joining in. Now that is something to look forward to.

6 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm excited about the X-Files movie... just for memory sake :-). I miss Scully actually and there are rumors that in the movie, she and Mulder finally... :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. “there are rumors that in the movie, she and Mulder finally... :-P”
    Wasn’t that pretty much implied by the time the series ended?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They had William together but that was through in-vitro. So, what do u think they finally do? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey, did u catch 'kungfu panda' already? i thought it was great. as Po would say, 'full of awesomeness', hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whatever lah, Mon. I didn’t really follow The X-Files towards the end to actually know what did or did not happen between the two. :P

    I actually planned to skip Kung Fu Panda until I found out that Jack Black was the main character. And yes, it was full of awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. coldplay new album is quite cool but my favourite track is lost...a good description of my head this evening.

    by the way the x-files movie if i'm not mistaken going to be stand alone movie...no reference to the series...a good thing consider i did not follow it until the end...

    by the way scully rocks!

    ReplyDelete