A visit to the university technicians the next day confirmed the worst. The hard drive was definitely a goner. So, there was only one thing to do: buy a new one.
The bad things about losing my notebook:
Losing all your data. Yup, despite having all those external hard drives, most of my files including class notes and five years’ worth of digital photos weren’t backed up. A hard lesson indeed. I’ve never experienced a catastrophic hard drive failure before.
Withdrawal. I’m lost without my notebook and broadband Internet connection.
Since the university has this brilliant policy of not issuing computers to non-PhD holders, I have to beg the department administrative staff or sneak into the head of department’s seldom used office to use their computers to check my email etc.
Catching up on my reading. I’ve finished two books already and am currently on a third. It is a really wonderful thing particularly that I have two more books arriving from Amazon soon.
A perfect excuse to just sit around and do nothing. Well, that’s also only because the semester hasn’t started yet.
My new notebook will arrive on Monday. May it last at least another five years.
I think there's hope for your data. My collegue at the digital forensics dept may be able to assist. some lost data may be recovered in certain circumstances.
ReplyDeleteHave a look at CyberSecurity Malaysia's Digital Forensics services.
If you are interested, do let me know.
So, bila kau nak sambung ni? Dah tak minat ke? Or tunggu nak makan nasi minyak dulu... LOL.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the offer but I have already sent the hard drive to be evaluated for data recovery. Will see how that goes.
ReplyDeleteSambung? Sambung apa?
:P