Thursday, September 11, 2008

Identity Crisis II

Somebody read my blog!

Is it unreasonable to expect citizens of any country to speak the national language? Most, if not all, countries have some language requirement for naturalization. You must be able to speak English if you want to become a citizen of New Zealand, or French to become a French citizen. I assume the expectation, if not express requirement, applies to native citizens as well. If that makes me a bigot and extremist I’m definitely fine with it.

Every Malaysian, especially one born and raised in the country, should be expected to be able to speak the national language. That much doesn’t have to be spelled out in the Constitution. I’m not saying that those who cannot should be kicked out of the country. I have relatives, both native and naturalized, who cannot speak proper Malay and I think it’s funny.

A country should have only one integrated school system and in Malaysia that is the national schools system. The existence of religious and vernacular schools does not help the development of a robust singular national identity. So the national schools system is not perfect. Fix it. The existence of alternative school systems is actually contributing to the problem by taking off some of the pressure to improve the national schools system. I’m being simplistic but with better funding we can hire better teachers. That alone should solve a lot of the problems with our schools.

I’m not saying religious and vernacular schools should close. They can stay, but not with public funding.

1 comment:

  1. Hm, isn't it weird how we can be easily labeled as 'bigoted' or 'extremist' for stating the obvious?

    And what does being an academician has anything to do with us speaking our minds? What, must we be dull & stick to the textbooks?

    I find it even more preposterous that your admirer doesn't expect any riposte reply to his (or her) so-called comment. It's like a statement of "don't-bother-replying-back-to-me-cause-I-ain't-gonna-read-your-blog-no-more-to-know-your-clever-response"

    ReplyDelete