Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Delivery


My copy of How Firm a Foundation (HFAF) arrived today, finally, after a bit of a twist last week.

I received this email from Amazon last Wednesday:
...
We regret to inform you that the following items have been delayed as we are still awaiting stock from our suppliers :

David Weber "How Firm a Foundation (Safehold)"
Estimated arrival date: October 07 2011 - October 15 2011

...
Please consider the following similar items, which may be available sooner:

- You can purchase a different version of the original item:

"How Firm a Foundation (Safehold)" [audioCD]
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1427212392/ref=fxm_em_sub_o

Differences between your original item and our recommendations are typically minor but some things, such as the item's cost, may be different.
I had had HFAF on pre-order since 31 August. The book was released on 13 September. Amazon had originally quoted 20 September as the dispatch date so I had fully expected to receive it last week. Then, on 21 September, came the above-quoted email.

I was shocked. How could they? A quick check on Amazon's website that day saw the book sold for £14.94, available for dispatch in one to two weeks! Interestingly, HFAF was on sale, with 48-hour dispatch, on TBD for the very same price. As Izzatina pointed out, Amazon has since 4 July agreed to buy* The Book Depository (TBD). I pre-ordered HFAF on 31 August for £12.72.


So I had the choice of either waiting for potentially two to three more weeks for my copy, or cancel the Amazon order and buy from TBD instead for £2.22 extra to get the book sooner. I chose to wait. There was no rush.

Two days later on 23 September, Amazon emailed me that the book has been dispatched.

:-/

Today, HFAF is sold for £14.78 on Amazon, and £15.41 on TBD.

__________
*The deal has yet to be approved by the UK Office of Fair Trading.

No comments:

Post a Comment