Saturday, September 17, 2011

Magazines

There is one magazine I have been reading regularly for years: UK-based military aviation magazine Air Forces Monthly (AFM). I cannot remember where or when I saw it the first time. I held it in reserve at a bookstore in KL, which for the last few years actually became the only reason I had to dreadfully drive into the city centre every month.


AFM sells for RM31.50 in KL, adding up to RM378 for the twelve issues in one year. It is expensive, especially considering the magazine sells for £4.30 in the UK. When I came here I took up a one-year subscription for £41, which translates roughly to only RM205 with a RM5/£ exchange rate. I have decided that I will continue with the subscription when we return home to Malaysia. At the moment that costs £51 or RM255, which is still RM123 cheaper to the RM378 I paid previously.

I know, I should have made a direct subscription ages ago or at least when I started working. It would had saved me a lot of money. I might had also been able to enjoy the magazine earlier every month. In Malaysia, the September issue for example will only be seen at the newsstands during the third week of the month at the earliest. I was told that the magazine is shipped first to Singapore before being distributed to Malaysia. Here in the UK, subscribers receive the October issue on the first week of September.

Afi, on the other hand, is hooked on pregnancy and parenting magazine Mother & Baby. I cannot deny that I find the magazine really interesting and useful as well. We are thinking of continuing to subscribe to the magazine when we return to Malaysia too.

No comments:

Post a Comment