I loved the movie; I saw it when it came out at the cinema and many times more on television. It was cute and funny, with Robert De Niro in drag. The movie didn’t win an Oscar, a BAFTA, or any of the big mainstream awards but it did win a Hugo.
The book is quite something else. Neil Gaiman wrote Stardust as a “fairy tale for adults”. So the book is decidedly darker and, well, more adult. As always, the book is more complicated than the movie. Tristan of the movie is really Tristran in the book, and there is no Captain Shakespeare. The book also ends differently than the movie. Overall, the book is much richer, and requires quite an imagination to visualize. I love it. I love them both. Thinking back, I don’t think I would have enjoyed the movie as much had they tried to make it closer to the book.

No comments:
Post a Comment