“Why is it called downward sloping?”
The typical joke about economists is that we make assumptions.
One of the classes I teach this semester is Introduction to Economics. The course is offered as an elective to students from the Kulliyyah of Islamic Revealed Knowledge and Human Sciences.
When first given the assignment, I thought that it would be fun to teach and interact with non-KENMS* students for a change. They would have a different way of thinking, different ideas, a different perspective of the world compared to our own students. However, their different background also means that they lack some of the skills economic students, even first-year students, typically have that we take for granted, like basic mathematics. So, when I first drew the downward-sloping demand curve on the board, a student raised her hand and asked “sir, why is it called downward sloping?” I froze for a moment. Although I am well aware that most of these students would have not done any mathematics since leaving high school, I never thought that I would have to explain why a downward sloping curve is called a downward sloping curve.
So I have to constantly remind myself that these of students are not our typical students and require special attention, while at the same time hoping not to be seen as condescending. It is quite a challenge, but I still enjoy teaching them.
EUREKA!
At home after work, I have found a new television show to look forward to. SciFi is showing a new series called Eureka, about a top-secret town of the same name where the US government keeps its most brilliant scientists. It’s not hardcore science fiction, but the part about a secret town full of geniuses simply provides a free license for out-of-this-world gadgets and weird stories.
The show is definitely fun. It airs on Tuesdays on SciFi, just perfect while waiting for Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis on Friday.
SIGH! Why can’t Astro have SciFi?
__________
*KENMS – The Kulliyyah of Economics and Management Sciences was the first Kulliyyah, or faculty, to be established at the IIUM, along with the Ahmad Ibrahim Kulliyyah of Laws (AIKOL), in 1983. We offer three undergraduate programs in Accounting, Business Administration, and of course, Economics.

Hehehe, yes, all of us the NON-KEMNS - need special attention, especially when it involves mathematics and numbers.
ReplyDeleteWait until you take graduate level Maths from the Maths department... they surely in different language than the rest of us... :-)
ReplyDeleteso then..what's the answer for the question..? i'm still curious though...pity me...
ReplyDeletescifi tu channel mane? xpenah dgr pom?
ReplyDeletehulu betong gak aku ni upenye..
Iz, I can give lessons if you want, LOL, got plenty of experience already!
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean, Mon, they really speak a different language.
Finally to Mr Anonymous, what question? Oh, it's called downward sloping because it is downward sloping, duh! SciFi is US TV channel, like MTV, VH1, Spike, Food Network etc specializing in SFF.
hehe...sounds like i'm the one who asked at that class..thank you sir!
ReplyDelete