Friday, September 21, 2007

Old Record: The Other Side

I’ve always wanted to write about the ‘other side’ of Old Record but never actually got to doing it. Basically, the idea is the music/movie industry is also partly to blame over the whole pirated media and downloading issue. However, the latest entry on Freakonomics talks exactly about that, so I’ll just post the link to the article:

What’s the Future of the Music Industry? A Freakonomics Quorum

While I don’t buy pirated CD/DVD, I download music, movies, and television shows off the Internet via P2P file-sharing technology. I download music to sample them, because the local radio stations do a poor job of promoting new music of the kind that I like. If I like the music I’ll buy it, either in the form of an actual CD or (sometimes, when I was in the US) through online stores like iTunes Store and the now defunct MSN Music; I delete the music files I don’t like. I download movies that don’t get screened at local cinemas because of one reason or the other, and if I like them enough I’ll buy the DVD, especially if it’s loaded with extras, from Amazon. About the same applies with TV shows. Once a show is aired somewhere on the planet, with the technology that we have today, it’s already ‘out there’.

Awaiting delivery from Amazon:

No comments:

Post a Comment