I am in between books at the moment. I have two books on pre-order from Amazon. The first book is How Firm A Foundation (HFAF) by David Weber, the fifth book in the Safehold science fiction series. The second is Christopher Paolini’s long awaited Inheritence. HFAF has already been released in the US, and according to Amazon’s estimate I should receive my copy in the next week, YAY! Inheritence, however, will only be released in November.

While I have bought my books almost exclusively from The Book Depository (TBD) over the past year, I am buying these two books from Amazon because of its pre-order price guarantee. Basically, it means that if the price they charge drops between the date of my order till the release date, I will pay the lower price. I am not aware if TBD offers a similar deal.

Amazon used to also offer a so-called 30-day price guarantee, whereby they will refund you the difference if the price drops within 30 days after you bought a product. Not anymore. Generally, TBD offers a lower price than Amazon for released books, even if the difference is only 1p, but I want to get these two books as soon as I can.
Outside of the UK and USA however, where Amazon also offers free shipping, TBD’s worldwide free delivery is really hard to beat.

While I have bought my books almost exclusively from The Book Depository (TBD) over the past year, I am buying these two books from Amazon because of its pre-order price guarantee. Basically, it means that if the price they charge drops between the date of my order till the release date, I will pay the lower price. I am not aware if TBD offers a similar deal.

Amazon used to also offer a so-called 30-day price guarantee, whereby they will refund you the difference if the price drops within 30 days after you bought a product. Not anymore. Generally, TBD offers a lower price than Amazon for released books, even if the difference is only 1p, but I want to get these two books as soon as I can.
Outside of the UK and USA however, where Amazon also offers free shipping, TBD’s worldwide free delivery is really hard to beat.
Btw bookdepository has been acquired by Amazon.com. That is why sometimes when you add price+shipping in Amazon, it is the same price in bookdepository.
ReplyDeletehere in the uk tbd's price is still cheaper than amazon's, often quite significantly. hopefully, not much will change by way of pricing after this.
ReplyDeleteanyway, outside of the uk, i read that the price tbd charges varies depending on your ip address. so i might help to have a friend in the uk ordering for you to ship to malaysia. :P
still, previously from malaysia i still saw tbd's price cheaper than amazon's even before adding shipping charges.