I've just started reading Anne Rice's Blood and Gold, which I bought ages ago but have not yet read. It is my first book of the Vampire Chronicles. If I like what I read, then there will be at least nine books to follow. In the meantime I am expecting a book I ordered from Amazon.com, Spin by Robert Charles Wilson, to arrive soon.
On Saturday I went to Pertama Complex to pick up the latest edition of AFM (not that men's magazine FHM, but Air Forces Monthly). There is a small bookshop on the ground floor I have been going to since I was little, and the owner knows me well. I think it may be only one of a few businesses to have remained there since the building opened. There was a toy shop there that I had always wanted to go see. Like many others, it has given way to selling mobile phones and mobile phone accessories.
The magazine has not arrived - ARGHH! - so I went down a flight of stairs to Golden Jet, another 'old friend'. During its heyday, the restaurant had two outlets here. The bigger corner outlet has closed down years ago, leaving the smaller outlet operating till this day. I always drop by the restaurant every time I go there for a plate of fried rice. There is nothing really special about it, but it tastes exactly the same as the first time I had it twenty years ago.
From time to time it is nice to know that a bit of the past still survive in the ever-changing landscape of the city.
__________
P/S: When is the third Inheritance book coming out?
No comments:
Post a Comment