Monday, April 24, 2006

Semester

Ferrari wins at Imola!

It turns out that I have to start teaching starting Tuesday. A lot of new students are joining us from the matriculation centre, so the boss asked me last week if I could teach one class for the third semester. I really couldn't say no.

Right, before anyone say anything, let me just state here that the university actually uses the term 'third semester'. Semester literally means six months, thus splitting the (academic) year into two. So you cannot have a 'third' semester. I don't know who decided on the term, though I like to think that at least someone at the English Department must have said something.

Now about next week, I don't have the course outline (yet). I don't even have the textbook! The only consolation is that it's Maths. Students should really have no problem at all with Maths; they did it at school, and again at matriculation. First year Maths is really just a review course. So the bad news is I don't get to sit on my ass till the new school year starts in July. The good news I don't have to sit on my ass till the new school year starts in July. It doesn't hurt that I'll get some extra cash too.

And I still have to submit that @#$% promotion form.

No comments:

Post a Comment