Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The Break-In

Somebody broke into my office on Saturday, and got away with the university computer and my old Sony radio clock.

Irwan called me late Saturday evening with the news. Somebody broke into his office too but didn’t take anything. Since (a) it was too late for me to drive all the way to Gombak and back, (b) I don’t keep any personal item worth stealing in the office, and (c) there is nothing that can be done then that can’t wait till tomorrow, I decided to, well, wait till tomorrow.

So I went to the office the next day to find the university desktop PC missing. They left the monitor, but took along the keyboard and mouse. My radio clock was missing too – definitely a target of opportunity.

I lodged a report with university security, and was told to make a police report as well. After filing my report at the Gombak Police Station, I was told to drive to the Gombak District Police Headquarters (IPD) to give my statement to the investigating officer.


That radio clock is mine! (Warner Bros./Yahoo! Movies photo from the movie Ocean's Twelve)

On Monday I notified the Kulliyyah of the theft, and before long everybody was relating me to the horror of losing the PC and all the data stored in it. Thankfully, I have been working with my personal notebook all along, so I am not that attached to the desktop. Doubtless it will take quite a while till I get a replacement. But the worst encounter in the whole episode was when I called the property office to get my door fixed.
Which Kulliyyah are you at?
Economics.
Department?
Economics.
[Giggle] Seriously, which department in Economics?
Seriously, Economics.
[Giggle] You are joking, right? Who is this, really?
I could have really cursed her to hell, but I was calling from the Department office. That ignorant fool thought I was pulling her leg, so I slammed down the phone. She called back immediately but luckily I got my boss, who just happened to be there to straighten it up.

The door was fixed before lunch.

Now, I really need to use that DEFCON lock I keep under the bed, and buy a really big padlock for the office.

5 comments:

  1. Of all people... this happened to YOU? LOL. Letak lah padlock besar-besar... what they say: the more effort you put, supposedly the bigger the prize is inside... :-)

    Oh yeah... my simpati ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the sympathy, though I never really used the PC anyway! Use it or lose it, huh? Still, cannot help wondering if my office was specifically picked as a target.

    Actually, my office was, is, the only room without the 'extra protection' of a padlock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what about cctv? thinking about to install that as part of your 'DEFCON' security system? polis xdatang ambik fingerprint ke?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mana ada CCTV, we are not a bank with tonnes of money lying around to spend on security. Besides, not everybody would be happy having Big Brother watching your every moves. If, anybody is watching, anyway.

    The police did come to dust the room, leaving all that stubborn black powder all over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about that Sev. Never happened to me (Nauzubillah)but it had happened on campus a few years back - a bunch of computers were stolen from the LAB!

    p.s. I was at UIA last week. Have no idea how to contact you!

    ReplyDelete