Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Astro Turd

Firstly, I really hate debates because [1] I suck at them because my natural tendency towards any conflicts, issues and problems is to rationalize and de-conflict; [2] most of the time in the end I think everybody just goes away with whatever it is they thought or believed in the first place; and [3] most thinks are really non-issues.

Here, I really don’t see why there is (or should be) so much fuss about Astro increasing its subscription fees:
  1. Honestly, RM5 or RM15 in 2007 is peanuts; though only God knows why people driving expensive cars would still park them illegally and haphazardly by the roadside just to save the RM1 indoor parking fee. Don’t talk about poor people, as poor people shouldn’t have Astro. I have nothing against being poor, but you are simply not poor if you are willing and able to pay for satellite TV.

  2. If you don’t like the price hike (who does?), and find it too expensive, then quit your subscription. Satellite TV is not a necessity – you certainly can survive without it.

    Alternatively, there are many other ways to spend time than staring at the idiot box like going out, going online (and download TV shows like I do), or picking up a good book. Use your imagination. I remember reading about a jump in the number of babies conceived in some country following frequent blackouts. But if you think that you can’t live without television, install the antenna back up and enjoy the still very free terrestrial TV broadcasts. Don’t complain about the image and sound quality. If digital-clear image and sound is important enough for you, the price hike wouldn't be an issue.

    BTW, the government (RTM) has already undertaken to convert to digital broadcasting, perhaps even in HD, by the next decade.

  3. Asking for the government to intervene is so typically Malaysian to turn to the government for every petty little thing. We Malaysians have serious dependency issues. Since none of our politicians and ministers really dare to take any responsibility for their actions, everything will end up brought to the Cabinet for decision. Then we complain that the government is authoritarian, intrusive, paternalistic, undemocratic etc. Pretty soon we may even ask the Cabinet to issue some guideline on how to pee.

  4. Astro is a business, so of course it wants to suck every sen your ringgit.

  5. The question of whether Astro is a monopoly depends on how you see television. If you cannot live without Akademi Fantasia and live euro-football matches then perhaps it is. A second or third satellite TV provider may help with the price issue by providing competition, but Astro may still have exclusive rights to EPL matches for example, and the providers can still all charge high prices.
Bottom line, Astro is not providing an essential your-life-depend-on-it service, so if you think that the price is too high then don't buy. It's as simple as that.
__________
PS: What happens to MiTV?
PPS: Remember Mega TV?

2 comments:

  1. Agreed. Tak mati pun kalau tak ada ASTRO. If the number of subscription turun, turun lah the charge tu nanti.

    I think the one yang complaint sangat tu maybe those yang bounded by the first one-year contract or something. Ini kes tak baca agreement lah ni, getik nak seronot tgk AF je. :-P Padan muka... LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet after all the complains at the end of the year we'll still see Astro subscription (volume, not the price) increasing.

    :-P

    ReplyDelete