[WARNING: Long entry]
As teachers, our job is to help students successfully complete their studies, but sometimes I cannot help wondering if some of them can, or even want to, be helped.
There is a student in my Introduction to Economics class who is repeating the course. He failed the course last semester despite collecting average grades for his coursework, which was mostly group assignments, after a very poor performance in the final exam. He came to see me when the results were out visibly shocked and upset, pleading that he has a medical condition that’s affecting his studies, but at that point that information was useless.
Recently, he came to see me again after doing very poorly in a quiz. He reminded me about his epilepsy, which is aggravated by stress. He is definitely stressed over the possibility of failing course again.
“Do you need help with the course materials?” I asked. “You know you can always ask me if you have questions, right?”
“No, no problem,” he said.
I asked how he studies for the course. He said that he spend hours every night going through the materials in the textbook. When I asked how exactly he studies, he said that he would read, translate the materials into his first language, and memorize them. I told him that he should emphasize on understanding the materials instead of just memorizing them, but he said that memorizing works for him, coming from a religious school background. Then, I asked if he studies with a friend. “No,” he said. “No problem.” He’s always studied alone in the past.
Now, I was starting to get pissed. Studying alone obviously is not working, I argued, given the fact that he already failed the course last semester. He claimed to not knowing anybody in the class. “Get to know some, then,” I said. He said that he’s a very shy person.
That has got to be the lamest excuse I’ve ever heard. I was definitely pissed then; there was no way getting through to this guy.
I needed a break, so asked him to do a question he got wrong from the last quiz, which was already discussed in class. He stared at the question for a couple of minutes like it was in Greek before asking me to explain the question. I explained it. He gave me a puzzled I-don't-get-it look. “Don’t you understand what I was saying?” I asked. He shook his head.
“Can’t you see? This working-on-your-own thing is not working. You need to find someone to study with!”
He argued that he’s used to doing things his (goddamn stupid) way – studying all alone by himself – that it would be difficult for him to change now.
I could bite his head off.
I explained to him that he is both really weak in the course and has a serious problem with his command of English. He gasped in disbelieve when I suggested that he drop the course and retake it later when he is more settled. After all, he is only in his second year while the rest of the class are mostly in their third and fourth year.
When I asked if he sees his department academic advisor, he said that he sees his academic advisor during pre-registration. AHA! Only weak students (are required to) see academic advisors during pre-registration. “Go talk to your academic advisor,” I said. “Get help.” His department academic advisor would know the specific requirements of his program so would be the best person to help him. He said that he doesn’t think that the academic advisor would have time to see him.
“Have you even tried to see her?” I asked. “Academic advisors are paid to make time to see students.” He said that he doesn’t think that the academic advisor could help him.
“No problem,” he kept saying.
Now, I was the one puzzled. “So what is it, really, that you want from me?” I asked. A free pass?
“No, no problem,” he said.
__________
PS: He had a brief seizure while we were having a quiz in class on Thursday. It totally freaked me out. He appeared embarrassed by the whole ordeal but still chose to get on with the quiz. I thought about talking to him when the class was over but he ran off before I could call him.
Bro!
ReplyDeleteTuan Governor di mana? Dia punya blog pun dah hilang! Need to talk to him lah..
Kempas, JB!
Tuan Gabenor pergi cuti kot. Dia tu kan kerja kuat tensen kena selalu cuti makan angin. Dia dah ada blog baru. See my [OTHER PEOPLE] link list.
ReplyDeleteKat sapa lagi that student tu nak bermanja, LOL... :-P
ReplyDeleteNak manja-manja silap orang la.
ReplyDelete