So untypical for a Friday, I had a relatively full day at work today.
In the morning I had a briefing session with second-year students explaining them the details of the Bachelor of Economics (B.Econs) program, particularly the elective packages. A rep from the B.Econs students society came to see me two weeks ago asking if I could brief the students. Of course I said yes, as it falls under my job as academic advisor. We (the department) never thought that it was necessary to conduct such a briefing session as at the kulliyyah level we regularly brief first year students on all three programs offered by the three departments once during the ta’aruf (orientation) week and then once again towards the end of the semester. The students also have access to the program curriculum structure, which clearly outlines all the program requirements.
Apparently many of them don’t understand the curriculum structure, which puzzles me, as even as a student I found that it tells me all that I needed to know about the program. So I got some really interesting questions. I also discovered that many of the students don’t even know that there are academic advisors in the kulliyyah to help them, which is even more puzzling given the at least two previously mentioned briefing sessions we give them during their first year. It really makes you wonder whether they get what you’re saying.
Anyway, it was kinda fun.
Immediately after that a fellow staff member who just got promoted full professor treated us a big lunch. YUMMY!
During the afternoon this cold I’m nursing graduated from the blocked-nose phase to the extremely annoying runny-nose-and-rampant-sneezing phase. I know that I have to be thankful that it’s just a common cold, but it sucks nonetheless. I didn’t help too that I had to sit through two-and-a-half hours of kulliyyah meeting which didn’t really discuss anything.
So in the end I’d say that it was a so-so day to end a so-so week.
In the morning I had a briefing session with second-year students explaining them the details of the Bachelor of Economics (B.Econs) program, particularly the elective packages. A rep from the B.Econs students society came to see me two weeks ago asking if I could brief the students. Of course I said yes, as it falls under my job as academic advisor. We (the department) never thought that it was necessary to conduct such a briefing session as at the kulliyyah level we regularly brief first year students on all three programs offered by the three departments once during the ta’aruf (orientation) week and then once again towards the end of the semester. The students also have access to the program curriculum structure, which clearly outlines all the program requirements.
Apparently many of them don’t understand the curriculum structure, which puzzles me, as even as a student I found that it tells me all that I needed to know about the program. So I got some really interesting questions. I also discovered that many of the students don’t even know that there are academic advisors in the kulliyyah to help them, which is even more puzzling given the at least two previously mentioned briefing sessions we give them during their first year. It really makes you wonder whether they get what you’re saying.
Anyway, it was kinda fun.
Immediately after that a fellow staff member who just got promoted full professor treated us a big lunch. YUMMY!
During the afternoon this cold I’m nursing graduated from the blocked-nose phase to the extremely annoying runny-nose-and-rampant-sneezing phase. I know that I have to be thankful that it’s just a common cold, but it sucks nonetheless. I didn’t help too that I had to sit through two-and-a-half hours of kulliyyah meeting which didn’t really discuss anything.
So in the end I’d say that it was a so-so day to end a so-so week.
No comments:
Post a Comment